earthOCEAN Media is releasing video footage and photographs of the rare and endangered Vaquita porpoise to educate the general publicabout its plight. You may share, post, and use media for educational and non-commercial purposes. Download high definition video footage, or share a video narrated by scientist Tom Jefferson that you can post on your blog or website Background -
On October 19, 2008 documentary filmmaker and photographer Chris Johnson captured rare video footage of the Vaquita porpoise. From October-November 2008, he was documenting "Expedition Vaquita" in the northern Gulf of California Mexico, a multi-national scientifitic survey led by the Instituto Nacional de Ecologia in Ensenada (INE) and NOAA Fisheries Southwest Fisheries Science Center in La Jolla, California.
The online documentary project was funded by a grant from The Ocean Foundation in Washington, DC. WHALE TRACKERS is a series of documentary programs that journey across the world’s oceans to explore the lives of whales, dolphins and porpoises. Website - www.whaletrackers.com
How to Download -
- Register on the WHALE TRACKERS website here
- Log into the Whale Trackers website
- To access photos and video, go to this page - http://www.whaletrackers.com/vaquita-media/
If you are interested in using the footage for commercial media or broadcast, contact us. We are making this media available to press for "one-time use" for free.
Drop us a note to let us know how you are using it!
For more information contact: Chris Johnson - Filmmaker - earthOCEAN media. Email Phone - +61-449-188-770 (Australia)
- All video and photographs are © 2008 Chris Johnson - earthOCEAN (All Rights Reserved). When displaying the photo please list the credit on or below the image, for video footage, please overlay the credit as "Chris Johnson - earthOCEAN"
- You will link back to the website - www.whaletrackers.com
- All media © Chris Johnson will not be re-distributed or resold to third-party vendors for commercial media.
- If commercial media is interested in using the media - contact us for more details. We will release the video and photographs of vaquita for "one-time" use to commercial media for free upon signing a standard release form.
- List the following text, as outlined in our filming permits, in the end credits of a video, or on a webpage -
- Photos and video taken under permit (Oficio No. DR/847/08 ) from the Comisión Nacional de Áreas Naturales Protegidas (CONANP/Secretaría del Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (SEMARNAT), within a natural protected area subject to special management and decreed as such by the Mexican Government. This work was made possible thanks to the collaboration and support of the Coordinador de Investigación y Conservación de Mamíferos Marinos at the Instiuto Nacional de Ecología (INE).